Noob question about JPad

Home Forums JPad Noob question about JPad

Tagged: ,

This topic contains 1 reply, has 2 voices, and was last updated by  admin 2 years, 8 months ago.

Viewing 2 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)
  • Author

greyseal96
    Participant

Hi,

I’m a .NET developer trying to learn more about the wonderful world of Java. JPad is an awesome tool and it’s been helpful. I use LinqPad all the time to test things out and it’s been great to have JPad because it’s so similar. You’ve really done a nice job with this.

I was looking at some of the example scripts and I saw the ones that use guava. I was wondering how the import of the guava classes works because I don’t see where the actual .jar files for guava are located. I installed JPad using the Windows installer and it comes with the JDK but I don’t see any guava .jar files in any of the JPad folders and I know I haven’t installed any guava files myself so I’m wondering where that comes from. I’m used to the .NET world where we reference a .dll to bring it into our project. I even have to do this with LinqPad so I’m wondering how this is working for guava.

I know that this is kind of a noob question but I’ve been searching online for a little while and I can’t seem to find an answer to this. I’d appreciate any help you could give or a point in the right direction of what to search for. Thanks!

admin
    Keymaster

Hi,

Great to hear you are enjoying jpad!

The guava/apache libraries are bundled with the jpad jar. On windows if you look at:
    C:\Program Files (x86)\TimeStored.com\JPad\jpad.jar
    You can actually open that file as a zip file using something like 7zip. Inside is bundled the code for jpad but also a bunch of other libraries. Namely:
    – guava
    – apache
    – Mysql/H2/postgresql/mssql JDBC drivers
    I made this jar using ants zipgroupfileset, but I believe you can do similar with onejar http://one-jar.sourceforge.net/.

This could end up being a controversial decision as it ties standard jpad use to specific deployed versions, versus the user choosing a specific jar but I consider the added convenience worthwhile. Basically jpad has a massive ordered list of classes which when it sees them auto imports according to that list. Compared to other IDEs that suggest a package based on name, I want to be a bit smarter and go on what methods are called plus the popularity of the library.

It annoys the hell out of me when eclipse suggests something else for List<> than java util list!

I intend to add the ability to add user specified jar’s soon.

Viewing 2 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.